Dobsons 411

Hanging on for the ultimate ride--God's great adventure.

www.melaniedobson.com
My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon

The author of fourteen contemporary and historical novels, Melanie Dobson lives with her family in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Her latest novels are Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor and Chateau of Secrets. More info at www.melaniedobson.com

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Don't let the door hit you...

So today Karly started preschool. The director warned us that she might cry for awhile when we dropped her off. That we would have to be strong and walk out even if she sobbed.

But crying was not on our daughter's agenda this morning. Instead she walked right in, sat down at the picnic table, and started munching on graham crackers with the gang. Jon, Kiki, and I said goodbye, and she threw us a quick wave over her shoulder (i.e. don't let the door hit you on your way out!!). So we backed toward the exit and watched her watching all her new friends.

Forget sobs. I was waiting for a little tear. A trembling lower lip. A last minute hug when she realized we'd soon be gone.

No luck.

We filled out paperwork in the office, and as we left, I stopped to watch Karly filling a pail with sand on the busy playground. She turned and saw us.

This was it! She would run to the fence, bawling, arms outstretched, begging for Jon and I not to go...

Instead Karly lifted her shovel, and with a smile and a salute, she shouted, "Look at me, Mommy! I'm in school!!" Then she turned back to her sand and overflowing pail.

The house was too quiet when Jon left for work. Kiki and I stared at each other. What do we do now? Karly's the one who makes the noise.

Kiki sauntered into the living room, picked up a book, and sat down by the window to read. I hopped on my computer and hammered out the back story for a novel I've had stuck in my head for months.

I was actually able to think this morning, and Kiki got some much needed quiet...but we still missed Karly. Four hours later, we picked her up from school, and she rewarded me with a hug. Then she asked me if she could stay.

Sigh.

I'm glad she likes school. Really, I am...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Hinck said...

Oh, isn't it the truth? We want our kids to be confident and grow into independence, but it's BRUTAL on our hearts when they are so easily ready to let us go. Guess what? It keeps happening. Watching my eldest son saunter into the dorm the day I drove him to college had the same pang.

I'm so proud of my kids for stepping forward into their own lives with God, but part of me cries, "Stop! Come back! Can't you need me just a little bit more?" :-)

6:33 AM  
Blogger Illuminating Fiction said...

Oh, Mel! This so reminds me of my daughter.

I survived two boys first. My oldest wasn't keen to stay the first few times, and kicked and screamed and cried. But once I was out of sight, I was told things calmed down quickly. Once he got himself a couple of little girlfriends he was fine.

My second son HATED kindy. Kicked and screamed and cried every time I dropped him off. It got to the point where my husband decided he could go with him to work every day instead. So my middle child became a kindy school drop out.

When it was time for my daughter to attend kindy, I was all prepared for the tears and "Mummy, don't leave me!" pleas. Let's face it, this was my baby, the last of my brood about to enter the first of their school years. "I" was ready to cry.

What did I get?

The minute we entered the building she turns to me and says, "You can go now."

Yeah, I cried . . . all the way home.

But hey, Mel, you got to write! Yay!

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home